The Leica CL (compact Leica) is by all means a very nice camera. It’s size, construction, feel and m-mount makes it a perfect film camera to carry with you on a daily basis.
WHAT I DID I DID TO MY OWN CAMERA WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF DESTROYING THE CAMERA.
I got my CL for a very nice price cause of a faulty light meter and some user marks plus a bent in one of the strap lugs. But the important things, rangefinder and speeds are correct. That’s what i wanted cause the goal was to modify the camera to accept the Jupiter 12 f2.8 35. This lens normally does not fit cause the CL’s light meter arm is on it’s path due to the lens rear protruding element. The idea was taken from a friend, Antonis Sarantos, who had modified his CL to accept the Jupiter12. What he did was cut off the light meter arm and trim part of the metal behind it. He went deeper than me cause he wanted to mount his Schneider Super Angulon 21mm too.
I marked the cuts locked the camera in bulb mode got my jigsaw and my dremel tool.
The second mod had to do with the CL’s weak spot, the take up spool. Those plastic white teeth that become fragile over time and break is an issue.
My CL’s take up spool had two teeth broken and i broke another one unloading a dummy film. So i searched for a solution. The replacement part is not easy to find and the cost is also a thing. You can try to find a Minolta x7 body that seems to have the same spool and remove it still you pay for the body,shipping and you need to mount it too plus you cannot be sure of its condition, it could also be dry and fragile. So what most people do is tape the film on the toothless spool.
I needed something more permanent and the solution came from one of my fsu cameras. I have great respect for the fsu cameras and it grew bigger when i noticed the take up spool of my zorki 4.
The metal part on this plastic spool is where you insert the film in order to hold it tight on the spool. On these spools that part is removable. I had another metal spool for the zorki 4 where the metal part is permanent. So the plastic one saved the CL’s take up spool.
The upper part of the CL’s take up spool is about the same diameter so all you need is dig path for the metal to snap in.
I went only as deep needed for the part to snap in, i didn’t want to force the plastic much.
I believe it is quite a permanent solution and the only thing needed is to cut the tongue of the film cause it is on the lower side and you snag it on the up side.
My CL is now all set.